Please follow the guidelines before, during, and after your surgery to
ensure that your operation & recovery goes smoothly:
Before Your Procedure
- Notify your surgeon as soon as possible if there is any change in your
physical condition, such as a cold or fever.
- You will receive a phone call from our nursing and administrative staff
1-3 days prior to your procedure to review all instructions regarding
your procedure. To protect your privacy, only a message to return our
call will be left on your answering machine.
- If you wear contact lenses or glasses, bring a case for their safekeeping.
We provide containers for removable dentures and bridgework.
- The night before your procedure you may eat a light snack before midnight.
Do not eat or drink anything after midnight, not even coffee or water.
This will reduce the possibility of nausea and vomiting following anesthesia.
You may brush your teeth, remembering not to swallow anything. Refrain
from the use of mints, chewing gum or cigarettes. Failure to follow these
instructions may result in the cancellation of your procedure.
- Please do not take any medication after midnight unless instructed by your
physician or our office. If you take medications on a daily basis for
heart disease, blood pressure, seizure disorders, or asthma, you may continue
taking them with a small sip of water. If you take aspirin, blood thinning
medications or herbal supplements, please notify your surgeon and anesthesiologist.
Failure to do so may result in the cancellation of your surgery.
Day of Your
- It is your responsibility to arrange in advance for a responsible adult
(18 years of age or older) to drive you home and remain with you for the
first 24 hours after surgery. You cannot drive or be left alone during
this period. If you fail to arrange for a responsible adult to care for
you, your surgery may be canceled. Transportation by taxi or limousine,
or ride sharing is not acceptable.
- We request that the person providing your transportation home remain in
the facility during your stay with us.
- Please bathe or shower prior to your procedure. Remove all makeup. Do not
use lotions, perfume or oils after bathing.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing such as sweatsuits and easy to button
shirts or blouses that are big enough to accommodate a large bandage after
your procedure. Wear comfortable shoes, no high heels, please.
- Leave all valuables, including jewelry and cash, at home. We cannot be
responsible for lost or damaged property.
- Bring a list of your medications and supplements with you on the day of
your procedure, both prescription and non-prescription.
- Be prepared to sign a form giving your consent for the operation. If the
patient is under 18, a parent of legal guardian must accompany the patient
and sign the consent form.
- Bring all insurance cards and photo ID, such as a driver’s license,
and any pertinent documents with you the day of surgery. Please see the
section on insurance and billing.
After Your Procedure
- Before you leave the center, you will be given written instructions for
your care at home.
- After you have returned home, be sure to follow your doctor’s orders
regarding diet, rest, medication and activity. Unless directed otherwise,
you should start your diet with clear liquids. In four to six hours you
can begin to eat solid foods. By the next day you should be back to your
normal diet. It is not unusual to feel a little sleepy, lightheaded, dizzy
or experience pain for several hours after your operation. Do not sign
any important papers or make any significant decisions for at least 24 hours.
- If you have any questions or problems after surgery, please contact your doctor.
- A nurse from the center will phone you within a few days after your procedure
to see how you are and answer any additional questions you may have.
- Do not drive a car, smoke, drink alcoholic beverages, operate machinery
or cook for 24 hours after procedure.
- Your physician will update your family after your procedure.
Have questions about your surgery or how to prepare? Please contact our